Lexus Soarer Owners Club Forum

You are currently viewing the forum

FORUM HOME FAQs SEARCH SIGN UP YOUR PROFILE LOG IN TO CHECK YOUR MESSAGES FORUM LOG IN

The LSOC Forum
General
fuel gauge and instrument panel on 95 Soarer

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
GregCayman
Gold Poster
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: fuel gauge and instrument panel on 95 Soarer Reply with quote

I've just got my 95 Soarer 3 Litre. The dash has a button on it called "fuel". When it is pressed the gauge indicates an "E" on the left, a "10" in the middle above the "bar", and a "15" on the right over the spot where the "F" would be. After a few seconds the display reverts to the E and the F with the bar indicating grpahically the amount of fuel. Does anyone know what the 10 and the 15 represent ?

The 10 and the 15 don't correspond to the 78 litre tank by any conversion I can think of? any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

The other matter with this dash that doesn't correspond to my translated japanese manual is the spot where the diagnostics are to scroll. This car doesn't have the EMV screen. The dash doesn't seem to have the spot on it where the number of litres of fuel would be displayed prior to engine start which is where the diag codes are to appear. The 123NRP display for the transmission seems to be in that spot. Does anyone know how I can display fuel levels on this car and where the diagnostics will read out?

I've just got the car from Japan. What a machine ! She's the pearlescent white colour with great mag wheels. I can't believe the quality of assembly, the fit of the doors and panels, the cornering ! Lovely vehicle that turns heads bigtime. It's not a V8 but the acceleration is no slouch ! Greg
JK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unusual. Never heard of that kind of display.

However the 10 and 15 must refer to litres. The usual way is for the petrol warning light to come on when the level falls below 10 litres. I can only assume that if you don't have a diagnostic readout then your fuel gauge can be switched to show what you've got when you are below 15 litres.
GregCayman
Gold Poster
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: fuel gauge and instruments Reply with quote

Hi JK, thanx for the reply. Funny thing is that the tank is full and the indication doesn't appear to be related to low fuel!

The position indicator for the transmission shows the 123DNRP with a moving "box" that lights up around them although they're all visible in the dash. That's at the bottom of the display just to the right of center where the pre start litre measurment is normally. I'm puzzled.
steveo
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine was originally like that as if u catch it in acertain light you can see the faint outlines of the 10 an 15 numbers the same as kmh, but now it has perm lines an the fuel reads out on the bottom info strip when u press the button,

maybe theve just been covered up when it was converted? but yours havent?

maybe its a rough gallon guide??
soramad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you divide 78 by 5 you get 15.6 which would be a rough guide as to gallons, so would agree with staveo as regards rough gallon guide.
JK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this type of thing on an earlier Toyota, so I'm pretty sure pushing the button gives you a readout (call it a close up) of the last quarter of the tank or so.

Therefore it will always show full when you've got more than 15 litres in the tank. Only when you've got less than that will you start to see a change in that last quarter. I doubt it relates to gallons though because all the other Soarer readouts refer to litres.

That's my guess anyway. Still never heard of it on a Soarer though. Never fails to amaze me how many variations on this car.
soramad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it could be in gallons if it was destined for an american related location, bearing in mind the american gallon is smaller than the imperial one
mrdsukautos
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys

Once the low petrol warning light comes on you will see that it reads the last 15 litres of fuel when the fuel button is pressed. Cool

Carlos
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the basic GTT display - the most basic Soarer, but also the lightest and so the quickest of all Smile
Never really seen that dash up close. I believe the diags are an LED flashing in certain sequences to indicate faults.
Can you get any pics of the dash, maybe with the display you mention showing?
neilt
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine (91TT) is exactly the same.

Shows the last 15 litres of the tank if you press the button.
mobius
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with whats been said already wondered about that when I first got the car, until I found out once tank was low.

I think a gallon works out to 4.55 litres
GregCayman
Gold Poster
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: fuel gauge and diags Reply with quote

Thanks very much to all for the replies.
When I push "fuel" it always shows full up to the fifteen litre mark. I'll run the tank down and check it again.

On the diags I found out somewhere on the web that by pressing "recirc" and "auto" on the AC controls, then cycling ignition on and off, that this gives diags. The diags seem to be for the AC unit only. I got 21 41 and 43 so I'm trying to figure out what those are.

I'll try the engine diags shortly but am not sure how to initiate them.

best regards, Greg in the Cayman Islands
mrdsukautos
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recent post by ChrisB on diag port check

Open the bonnet (hood) and look for the diagnostic box (small 5cm black plastic box with a clipon cover). Open her up with the engine switched off and the ignition off. Place a paperclip firmly between outputs E1 and TC for diagnostics on ABS, Aircon, AIrbag, Traction Control and Cruise Control. The outputs are labelled on the underside of the little cover.

With the paperclip in, jump back in the car and turn the ignition to ACC (one before starting engine). The digi-display (do you have a digital readout for displaying the time, and also error codes sometimes?) will show the ABS and TRC. Cycle through any messages (in english) using the Scroll button on your dash. If anything says NG (means not good) then wait a minute for the error code number to appear.

Also you can do Engine and ECT (transmision diagnostics) using E1 and TE1.

GregCayman
Gold Poster
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: fuel gauge and instrument panel Reply with quote

Hi Dean, thx for the reply.

This dashboard doesn't have a scroll button that I see.

The lower part of the illuminated dash board looks like this:

HH:MM L2DNRP TRIP a/b KM

The right hand end is the odometer. Underneath the display on the dash are the following buttons.

fuel Odo Trip Reset
:00 H:M

I can't see which of those would scroll? Is the odometer where the display of the diags come up? If that's the case is the scroll the trip/odo button?

My odometer is a green lit up sort of thing and not an LCD display like on the AC unit controls.

many thanks in advance for any replies. Greg
JK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the scroll function is missing on that particular type of meter.

Certainly if you had it, you'd have a button with "scroll" on it alongside the clock HH, MM and .00 buttons which are on the black bit under the speedo.
mrdsukautos
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg my car is at my brothers mate so when i go over there ill check it and see how it works on this meter mate Very Happy
It may be a few days before i do so tho Crying or Very sad
Hope thats ok mate

Carlos
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can't scroll, because the display doesn't show anything to scroll!
I'm pretty sure that when you put the jumper in under the bonnet, you get the sequence of flashes on an LED on the dash (if there any probs of course).
JK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I got that completely wrong. The scroll button is among a set of four above the time set buttons. It sits alongside Odo, fuel, etc.
cj
Silver Poster
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

hi all, it seem that i have the same dash as greg! i'm a litle confused now as to wether my dash will tell me if there is any probs Question
interested how i can find out about the flashing led diagnostics?
sorTTed
Bronze Poster
Bronze Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '92 GT-T which has this display. When the main fuel guage reads just below 1/4, press the Fuel button and the display corresponds to the last 15(L?)
When mine gets to 10 the fuel warning light comes on. In my sc300 manual this means less than 9l in the tank.
In my soarer it will take 60L to fill up from the fuel Light on/ 10 on the secondary fuel display.
Hope this description helps.
The LSOC Forum
General
fuel gauge and instrument panel on 95 Soarer
Share |
     Page 1 of 3. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What is RSS?