FORUM HOME FAQs SEARCH YOUR PROFILE LOG IN TO CHECK YOUR MESSAGES FORUM LOG IN

The LSOC Forum
Electrical
Starter motor maybe

View previous topic | View next topic  
peterphipp
Silver Poster
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Starter motor maybe Reply with quote

Funny problem. Lexus 2.5TT 1994. It wont turn the starter motor so car wont start. When I put the key in and switch to start the engine the dashboard lights dim almost out , I can hear the fuel pump running but the starter motor does not engage and turn the engine. However if I have the headlights on they do NOT dim as I try to stsrt the car. only the dsshboard and associated bits dim almost out. Battery terminals are all OK and tight, `Strange problem.... Where is the starter motor relay situated? Help please. I maybe could try and check this out first. Peter
dazzav8
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi peter i am not 100% sure there is a starter relay , i would first check wiring down to starter then carryout the old school short across the starter terminals to engage the starter trick , i no the contacts in the solenoid do burn out so this maybe the problem , just think yourself lucky you have a tt not a v8 if you need to do a stater swap Very Happy
soramad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the starter solenoid not operating which I think is part of the starter unit, as I had a V8 I have no knowledge of the tt layout so can't point you in the right direction.
peterphipp
Silver Poster
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Starter motor maybe Reply with quote

`Strange problem.... Where is the starter motor relay situated? Help please. I maybe could try and check this out first.

Still searching for the correct relay ... if there is a relay between the starter solenoid and the battery, is it one of the relays under the front nearside fuse box? any help appreciated as i cannot get under the car to reach the solenoid etc. Is there a contact / pin on a relay that is the direct feed to the solenoid so that I could put 12v to it and see if the engine cranks? `Peter
dazzav8
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really need to check the wiring at the starter if this is corroded or loose looking elsewhere is pointless , if wiring is ok then do the link over on the terminals to test the starter if all is ok then start looking elsewhere
peterphipp
Silver Poster
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to do this but as I cannot move the car or get underneath it that's a bit difficult... hence trying first to see if current is flowing to the solenoid by checking voltage on its supply feed which must be from one of the relay terminals.....
peterphipp
Silver Poster
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the nearest Soarer expert /garage near to west london ? Richmond ?? that has experience in changing a starter motor and could giver me an estimate ?
dazzav8
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest any good garage should be able to change a starter on a tt , like i said earlier if it was a v8 that would be a different story , have you worked out that it is a starter fault now
peterphipp
Silver Poster
Silver Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzav8 Said:
to be honest any good garage should be able to change a starter on a tt , like i said earlier if it was a v8 that would be a different story , have you worked out that it is a starter fault now

Have fixed it. A sharp blow on the solenoid which was jammed , Hey Hey Engine cranks Ok!
I think I may replace the starter but at least I can now drive to the garage ! Thank to all.
soramad

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it would be he solenoid, it usually is,may just need a bit of grease if the coil is ok.It's amazing what a sharp tap will do on a starter motor. Very Happy
The LSOC Forum
Electrical
Starter motor maybe
Share |
     Page 1 of 1.

What is RSS?