FORUM HOME FAQs SEARCH YOUR PROFILE LOG IN TO CHECK YOUR MESSAGES FORUM LOG IN

The LSOC Forum
Technical
New Trunk (boot?) gas struts

View previous topic | View next topic  
GregCayman
Gold Poster
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: New Trunk (boot?) gas struts Reply with quote

I just replaced my original trunk gas struts with a great product. It is the Stong Arm 4508 which I bought on Amazon for $US 60 for two incl shipping.

They fit perfectly. Getting the old ones out is no problem. 12 MM open end wrench and this slot screwdriver to pry out clips is all you need.

The strong arm products hold the trunk up great and I have the spoiler. When you turn the key in the trunk key slot the trunk just rises ! This product is not exactly as the original. Orginal had ball joint integral with the strut at the trunk end of the strut. With the strongarm they send you new "balls" that you screw in and the new strut clips on.

I had no problem installing the struts although some say you cant lift the trunk enough to clip them on. In my case the rubber stop was missing on trunk and so I didn't have to remove it to get the trunk up enough to connect the struts.

I was prepared to freeze the struts in the freezer to shrink them. I didn't have to in the end. I did try it and the one strut shrunk about 1/4 inch after being in the freezer for an hour. very satisfying repair ! Greg
soramad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks greg good bit of information and will add to technical section.
dazzav8
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i used these guys http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts?gclid=CLGOtZu7gcsCFRSeGwodA38DpA just sent them my worn out struts they repaired and uprated them returned them back nice easy fix the ones i like and looking back though my paperwork that was nearly 5 years ago and still holding up good as new and a cost of only £32.76 with return postage
Soarpoint
Gold Poster
Gold Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the details of this company ready for when i get around to doing it. I fitted some new ones from Australia and if it was not for the hassle involved after paying for import duty and ParcelForce handling fee i would send them back with a note to shove them up is arse.
They are worse than the worn out ones and only any good as a stop gap till i do the originals.

dazzav8
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine where weak from the day i brought my car just had to get them fixed only so many times that bootlid comes down on you before its enough Laughing Laughing
soramad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzav8 Said:
mine where weak from the day i brought my car just had to get them fixed only so many times that bootlid comes down on you before its enough Laughing Laughing

I think most soarer owners have either had this happen or will be going to have this happen especially on a windy day. Sad

paul bristol uk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soramad Said:
dazzav8 Said:

I think most soarer owners have either had this happen or will be going to have this happen especially on a windy day. Sad

Yep couple of headaches and nearly lost my fingers. Wind and Soarer boot lids do not get along!

soramad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya Paul you managed to get back on the site then, welcome back. Very Happy
The LSOC Forum
Technical
New Trunk (boot?) gas struts
Share |
     Page 1 of 1.

What is RSS?